With empathy and enthusiasm, Tiffani will work with you to help you build on your strengths and attain the personal and relationship growth you are committed to accomplishing!
Meet Tiffani. Tiffani is a licensed Clinical Marriage and Family Therapist (LCMFT) and is the founder and principal of TSL&A. She serves a broad spectrum of clients, but especially enjoys working with couples. Because she is fluent in both English and Spanish, she can help those who speak either or both languages. She is also a Maryland state-approved LCMFT supervisor and enjoys providing support and mentoring for therapists in training.
In addition to being a relationship therapist, Tiffani loves to give talks and workshops in the community on topics such as communication, dating, and relationship enrichment. Her doctoral research has focused on the impact of post-birth marriage on child behaviors among Fragile Families. She has also conducted research in the following areas: premarital relationships/singlehood, marriage among single-parent families, food insecurity among Latino families, and religiosity and mental health among African Americans. She is a former instructor of the Children in Families course at the University of Maryland. She is happily married and the mother of four.
Thoughts on therapy. “As a Marriage and Family Therapist, I understand “problems” from within the context of relationships, particularly family and/or romantic relationships. I am a collaborative therapist. My therapeutic approach is to provide empathy, support, and practical feedback to help clients effectively address personal life challenges. I integrate complementary methodologies and techniques to offer a highly personalized approach tailored to each client.”
Experience. With more than a decade of experience working with couples, families, and individuals – Tiffani is well-equipped with skills and knowledge to help with many types of challenges. Tiffani earned a Doctorate degree in Family Science, a Master’s degree in Couples and Family therapy from the University of Maryland, as well as a Bachelor’s degree in Psychology from Brigham Young University. Tiffani is a certified Prepare/Enrich facilitator and enjoys providing counseling for couples preparing for marriage. Prior to entering private practice, Tiffani worked as a therapist at the University of Maryland’s Center for Healthy Families. She also provided training regarding healthy parenting practices to Spanish-speaking Latino immigrants in Prince George’s County. As a student, she interned as a therapist in an orphanage in Romania, working with children with behavior problems, developmental delays, and reactive attachment disorder.
- Doctorate Degree (Ph.D.): Family Science, 2014, University of Maryland
- Master’s Degree (MS): Couples and Family Therapy, 2009, University of Maryland
- Bachelor’s Degree (BS): Psychology, 2007, Brigham Young University
- Maryland Licensed Clinical Marriage and Family Therapist (LCM-556)
- Approved LGMFT Supervisor for the Maryland Board of Professional Counselors and Therapists
- Idaho Licensed Clinical Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT-7166)
- Utah Marriage and Family Therapist (ref no. 11887397-3902)
- Virginia Licensed Clinical Marriage and Family Therapist (Temporary) (ref. no. 0717001618)
- North Carolina Clinical Marriage and Family Therapists (Emergency/Temporary)
- Emotion-Focused Couples/Family Therapy (EFT)
- Emotion Freedom Technique (EFT) / Tapping
- Prepare/Enrich (Premarital Counseling)
- Play Therapy
- Military Families Training
- Parenting Groups (Padres Activos de Hoy)
- American Association of Marriage and Family Therapists (AAMFT)
- Mid-Atlantic Division of American Association of Marriage and Family Therapists (MAD- AAMFT)
- Association of Mormon Counselors and Psychotherapists (AMCAP)
- AMCAP-Mid Atlantic Chapter